University Lutheran Chapel is the Lutheran campus ministry at CAL. We strive to be a home for students and young adults who are looking for a way to connect with sacred stories, meaningful rituals and contemporary life.
This is one of the reasons we have partnered with the Episcopal Church and Chaplain Tom Poyner to create with us a ministry space which is progressive, welcoming, and thoughtful. This is why we celebrate ancient traditions, cultivate intellectual curiosity, and promote hopeful faith.
University Lutheran Chapel openly celebrates and welcomes diversity of all sorts and affirms that queerness and sexual orientations are not a hindrance and can enhance living out the Christian life.
Here’s some of what’s happening this year at campus ministry…..
- Eucharist on Sunday at 10:30 here at the Chapel
- Morning Prayer on @Wednesdays at 7:30 am
- “NightSong” on the 2nd Tuesdays of the month at 7:00 pm (prayer and song with Bishop Marc Andrus)
- Chaplain Tom will be leading a discernment group
- Coffee conversations with Pastor Jeff. Email Jeff
- A spring 2016 Prov 8 retreat
- Episcopal Sunday worship at churches in the neighborhood at different times (Good Shepherd-11, St. Mark – 8&10, All Souls – 8&10, St. Clements – 8&10)
The Rev. Jeff Johnson, Lutheran Campus Pastor | Jeff loves being a pastor at the Chapel, the Lutheran liturgy, mystery novels, everything “happy Danes” love, rewiring his house, collecting old family photos, cooking gigantic meals for friends, and taking about everything political, religious, controversial. Jeff lives with Pepe, his husband, in a 1928 bungalow in Oakland. Email Jeff
Tom Poynor, Episcopal Chaplain | Tom is the Episcopal Chaplain to Berkeley and also the program director for the Episcopal Service Corps – has just gotten back into bike riding and is quite happy with that thank you very much. He also enjoys a wide swath of music and is quite indiscriminate in a love of visual art, architecture and cinema. So yeah…basically the obnoxious right brain sort in a left brain campus. He is fascinated by intersections, between religion, philosophy, art and pop culture. In fact, he loves it so much that he studies it too. And then as a corrective to everything written above, Tom likes, needs and lives on coffee. So have coffee with him. Email Tom